Did you know that in 2021, the question “Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?” was one of the most googled ones on Christmas in the US?
The answer to this question is complex. Therefore, we will try to rely on the data to get to the bottom of it.
First we’ll talk a little bit about the movie in question. Die Hard is a 1988 American film directed by John McTiernan, based on the 1979 novel, Nothing Lasts Forever, by Roderick Thorp.
Bruce Willis stars as New York City Detective John McLane, newly arrived in Los Angeles to spend the Christmas holiday with his estranged wife (Bonnie Bedelia, who participates in the Netflix Christmas movie “The Noel Diary”).
As McLane waits for his wife’s office party to break up, terrorist take control of the building -the Nakatomi Plaza-.
While the terrorist leader, Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman, who participates in the Christmas movie “Love Actually”) round up hostages, McLane slips away unnoticed. Armed with only a service revolver and his cunning, McLane launches his own one-man war.
Die Hard is a sizzling thriller from beginning to end. However, is it a Christmas movie? Let’s look at the data:
- 4 are the Christmas songs that we can hear in the movie -Christmas in Hollis, Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells and Let It Snow-.
- 12 are the hours until Christmas in the movie -it begins on Christmas Eve-.
- 18 are the times that the word “Christmas” appears in the script.
- 21 are the Christmas elements that appear in the movie -from Santa Claus hats to Christmas trees-.
- 22 is the number that “Die Hard” occupies in the Christmas movie count of IMDd -22 of 1320-.
- According to Google Trends, the interest in “Die Hard” increases considerably in December compared to the other 11 months of the year – this considering the last 5 years in Canada only-.
- And finally, if we compare the search terms “Die Hard” versus “Christmas Movie” in Google Trends we can see that there is correlation.
So if we base our answer on this data, Die Hard is a Christmas movie! 🎄
However… The label “Christmas Movie” is subject to personal definition. Some people consider it any picture holiday related. Other people consider it a film that they love to watch with friends and family during the holidays for its entertainment value.
So no matter what your definition of “Christmas movie” is, for us (based on the data we found and because we like the film) Die Hard is a Christmas movie 🎅
We only have to say goodbye to this publication of our blog with the iconic words of John McLane: “Yippee-Ki-Yay!”.
PS. If you would like to read more articles written by our Team Members, we invite you to visit our Blog https://www.bowriversolutions.com/blog/ 😉